Escape From The City in Vasse
April 4, 2019
On February 14, 2019, ABC’s Escape from the City featured Vasse and the Kadamuses.
Deb and Milo wanted to move from Canberra to the South West, with their reasons for the South West seachange being:
- a lower median house price in Margaret River and Busselton compared to Perth/cities – around $480K to $500K in the South West, compared to $900K in Perth
- the warmer climate
- being close to the coast
- a good base from which to travel – have adventures and a new lifestyle.
The couple viewed homes and locations including Margaret River, Cowaramup and Vasse. At their third house, it appeared they had found their winning home. But then the show’s presenter took them to a ‘mystery home’ in Vasse, which they loved so much, they bought.
Why The Celebrations Home Won
The home was The Hampton, a Celebration Homes Display Home in Vasse, which they could also rent back to Celebrations for 24 months before moving in.
Celebrations consultant Dale Huntingon said “Our home is absolutely amazing with a unique feel and huge inclusions. As Deb and Milo pull up to their new home they are greeted with a warm and welcoming front elevation that is unlikely to date. They will have plenty of room for the grandkids to come and visit and the outdoor entertaining area will create memories for Deb and Milo to cherish for the rest of their lives.
They unique 6% leaseback per annum with no management fees as well as being able to purchase all of the furniture for a steak certainly caught their eye as well.”
The Kadamuses said “financially it was a no brainer for us, and we get a beautiful home… we couldn’t have asked for anything more. It just also felt right with a lifestyle feel that we wanted.”
They specifically mentioned the following features as being key factors in their decision:
- “Formal lounge to convert to use as a cinema room
- Spacious open living area, kitchen, dining and family area
- Kitchen has gas cooking, stone island bench very well set out and functional
- Airy and bright with lots of natural light
- Plenty lighting to give that entertainers house feel
- Monster sized walk through robe and exceptionally well appointed en-suite
- Very large walk in pantry
- Plenty of cupboard space, particularly laundry
- Additional spaces like study and activities areas for quiet times
- All areas have space very well utilised and functional. The feel of the house oozes lifestyle!
- Landscaping (same sort of trees and shrubs as we had in Canberra), feels a bit like what we were leaving behind.”
Why They Chose Vasse
Deb and Milo loved the established facilities, central location, quietness and Vasse community. In a post show interview, they mentioned the following factors for their choice of Vasse.
- “Location in Gurnard loop which is quiet and not a busy through road
- Park opposite and bike trail close by
- Facilities like shops, schools are already established
- Central to the Busselton area
- Vasse Facebook shows a new but thriving community. Feels very much like the community we left behind.
- Great place to launch motor bike rides around the SW region
- Close to the beach yet far enough away to be away from higher winds and weather (as well as salt spray – everything rusting)
- Simply felt like a great place to settle.”
They said they were looking forward to:
- “Exploring the local areas on our motor bikes and finding the great coffee places
- Settling into the house and unpacking and making it home
- Exploring the community, volunteer options and a good gym
- A few visits from friends over East.”
Dale from Celebrations also commented that “Vasse is such a beautiful place to live. I should know, I live here too. Vasse really is the heart to the southwest. You are located so closely to Busselton, Dunsborough and Margaret River that you are always out enjoying the lifestyle this beautiful part of the world has to offer.”
“With Deb and Milo planning on travelling they can lockup the home and know it is safe and secure in a friendly neighbourhood. The can head out on their bikes and enjoy a cruise down caves road or even shoot down to Albany for an overnighter. Vasse township itself has a beautiful village feel to it and definitely mirrors the laid back lifestyle we all love about the area. Everything is here for Deb and Milo but it’s not overcrowded.”
How Are They Feeling Now
The Kadamuses said “Apart from wanting to move in now? Very happy, we have some time to explore Perth and get to know WA and we have the anticipation and excitement of moving in and starting yet another chapter in life.”
Welcome to Vasse Deb and Milo. We look forward to you joining our community.
About Escape From The City
Escape From The City guides people through their life-changing decision to escape the hustle and bustle of city life.
You can watch the full episode here.